9:58 -- Vienna, Austria
We watched Obama's inauguration upstairs in our apartment, then traveled to Badeschiff, a riverboat/club. There were two walkways across the Danube Canal to get there, and one was very dark and one was light, so we chose the light one.
Inside were a bunch of Obama-T-Shirt wearing adult people who (shocker!) spoke to us in English as if it was their native tongue! We were so surprised we stood there gaping for a moment, waiting for the gurgled Rs the cchhhhs, but none came. The nice (American) lady hosting the Democrats Abroad party told us to go the dance partay, which was downstairs, and that to get there we'd have to go through the other walkway. We exited.
We trampled down the other walkway, hearing a music rhythm in the background figuring, having been given English directions, there's no excuse for getting lost.
Well.
So we found a door, that appeared to be the right door, and nobody told us otherwise, and opened it. Behind it were fifty or so pairs of eyes looking directly at us. We had entered the opposite side of the Democrats Abroad room, only this was not where one received directions from elated Americans, this was where they were projecting the Inaugural Address onto the wall.We heard Obama's dignigified voice. We saw all these people looking at us. Then we turned around. The speech was being projected onto the wall behind us, and part of the wall was the door. We had entered through Obama's head.
When we did find the dance party, it was hilarious. An enthusiastic black man sang about hope and change and believing in yourself and we loved it. Then...THEN...a new singer came on and sang Michael Jackson's Man in the Mirror. 'Nuff said.
Anyway...school today. Wiener Philharmoniker Ball tomorrow (which lasts until 5 am, can you believe it?...I bought fake eyelashes, as Wieners are all about making fashion statements, and when in Rome, right?) I am very glad I brought my ball gown with me, as ball gowns here are extremely expensive.
Saturday the Kunsthistorisches Museum is free for students, so I'm going to take advantage of that (I've been there once already, but only briefly, and with a tour). A couple of friends are going to go to Zurich this weekend, but I'm looking forward to a quiet, art-filled weekend (I haven't been to the opera yet, and I'm thinking this weekend is the time).
Love you all.
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
you would. :)
ReplyDelete